Work in Canada

When planning to work in Canada, be prepared to confirm your legal right to enter Canada upon arrival and stay in the country as a foreign worker. Make sure you have all necessary documents, forms and legal identification for yourself and family member(s) travelling with you.

All applicants must meet admissibility requirements including: health, financial, criminal, etc... For peace of mind, rely on our services to help you navigate Canadian Immigration Law and to obtain all required documents. Contact us for a personalized consultation.

If you are looking to work in Canada and would like to know more information about the Canadian labour market and the jobs available, visit our resources page form more information.  

Work Permit / Extension: A government issued document that authorizes a person to work legally in Canada. It sets out conditions for the worker such as: the type of work, the employer, location, and the duration of employment.

Live in Caregiver: A person who is qualified to provide care for children, elderly people or people with disabilities in private homes without supervision. A live-in caregiver must reside in the home of their Canadian employer.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program: This program allows employers to hire foreign workers to fill short-term labour and skill shortages when no Canadians are available to do the job. A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is needed to hire through this program. Foreign workers hired as part of this program are referred to as temporary foreign workers. They may get a work permit once a Labour Market Impact Assessment proves the need for foreign workers.

Labour Market Impact Assessement (LMIA): A LMIA is a document that an employer in Canada requires before hiring a foreign worker. The employer must contact Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to apply for a LMIA.

Internationaly Mobility Program: This program allows employers to hire or bring in foreign workers without the need of a LMIA. Exemptions from the LMIA process are available where there are reciprocal benefits for Canadians and other competitive advantages for Canada. Examples of individuals who come to Canada under an LMIA-exempt program include: international students who have graduated from a Canadian school; persons authorized to work in Canada temporarily due to free trade agreements, such as NAFTA, International Experience Canada participants, some permanent resident applicants settling in Canada while their PR application is finalized, and spouses of highly-skilled foreign workers.

International Experience Canada: A youth exchange program allowing Canadians, 18 to 35, to live and work in other countries, generally for up to one year at a time. The reciprocity of the program allows for youth from these same countries to live and work in Canada for up to one year.